In commemorating 100 years of the National Hockey League (NHL), the top 100 players’ list was compiled. This list includes old-time legends as well as the recent ones. It is a list that consists of all players, that is, goalies, forwards as well as defense. The selection committee comprised of NHL alumni, renowned media personnel, and distinguished members of the hockey community.
The following list includes some of the great NHL players who will be remembered for their heart, sacrifice and skill.
- Georges Vezina. He played for the Canadiens and had the goal-tending trophy named after him (Vezina trophy).
- Bryan Trottier. This individual was great at making a huge impact everywhere he went. He won the Stanley Cup championships four times with the Islanders and two times with the Penguins.
- Mats Sundin. He captained the Maple Leafs for a long time. He is the only player from Sweden to have scored 500 goals in the NHL.
- Peter Stastny. He definitely earned his spot in the history books by becoming the first-ever rookie to score 100 points.
- Billy Smith, nicknamed ‘Battlin’ Billie,’ was a one of a kind goaltender who was disliked by most but loved by Islander fans. He managed to rack up lots of penalty minutes and Stanley Cups during his time with the Islanders. He played a total of 680 games, won 305 games, lost 233 games, and tied 105 games.
- Darryl Sittler. He was well known for his hard work. He became loved by most due to this fact. Darryl scored a record 10 points in a game while he was the captain of the Maple Leafs.
- Patrick Roy. He was another formidable goaltender. He won four Stanley Cup Championships, with the Canadiens and two with Avalanche. He also went on to win the Vezina Trophy three times.