Every sport has its own legends. Whenever that sport is mentioned, those individuals come to mind. When we talk about Athletics Usain Bolt comes to mind, Basketball – Michael Jordan, Lebron James, and the late Kobe Bryant, Football – Lionel Messi, Maradona, and Cristiano Ronaldo and Formula 1 – Michael Schumacher. The NHL has a few celebrated players that are famous and some that will go down as all-time legends.
The following is a list of some of the legends and what they are known for.
- Bobby Clarke. He was well known for his excellent work ethic. He became the face of the Flyers championship teams.
- Charlie Conacher. He was known for his powerful shots, hence the nickname “The Big Bomber.” He was also the second captain for the Maple Leafs.
- Sidney Crosby. (Sid the Kid) He is a very decorated player who won the Stanley Cup 3 times with The Penguins. He also won 2 gold medals at the Olympics and won the world cup while playing for Canada.
- Yvan Cournoyer. He was nicknamed “The Roadrunner” for his speed on the ice, which helped him win 10 Stanley Cup titles with the Canadiens.
- Marcel Dionne. It is said that he was undersized but he was a genius when it came to offenses. He is the 5th highest all-time goal scorer in the NHL history.
- Ken Dryden. He is one of the best goalies the NHL has had. He played for the Canadiens and helped them win Stanley Cups as well as the Vezina Cup, which they won five times.
- Ron Francis. Also known as “Captain Class” for his class on and off the ice. He helped Pittsburgh to secure the Stanley Cup, and he holds the record for the second-most assists in the history of the NHL.
- Grant Fuhr. A goalie who won 5 Stanley Cups with the Oilers. He is the first black player to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.